Welcome! This is a blog for Keira and Candice to speak of all our woes. Ha! Not exactly. We both struggle with infertility. This is our way of keeping in touch and being a support for one another. Here is where we share our thoughts, our feelings, our struggles, our hopes, and our dreams. We have often asked ourselves 'why not us?' We would sure like to know what happened to our storks. So if anyone with similar struggles visits this blog, just know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Although at times it sure feels like it, doesn't it? Hopefully this may help you as well.

Thursday, May 12, 2011

It has been a long, very hard week. I have really struggled a lot, and been mad and frustrated with myself that I am not happy and over this whole failed adoption thing yet. I want to just move on and be happy like I was before, but the healing process is very s.l.o.w. I have had a lot of thoughts constantly swirling around my head, and making any sense out of them takes a lot of work. My emotions are all over the place.
      My first big wake up call was when I was basically told about two weeks after the failed adoption that I should be feeling better and be ready to try agagin, and that because I am still struggling and feeling really sad that maybe I need to go talk to my dr. about depression. That was maybe two weeks after the ball came crashing down. Two weeks for crying out loud! Really? So, I feel like I have lost a child, and I should be feeling better within two weeks, and because I am not yet, I seriously need to go see my dr?  I felt like it was totally insensitive, and I felt after that point that something was wrong with me. I guess I thought that any "normal" person would have been over this and lining back up at the agency for another chance at adoption. I am just not ready for that yet. Is that ok? Not for some people, I guess. I need to speed up my healing process so that I can please everyone, meanwhile not pleasing myself. It is killing me with all the pressure, and the ideas that everyone has that will help me, or blah blah blah! I know that the only people who knows and understands me and how I feel and what I need is Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Yes, there are others who have gone though a failed adoption, however everyone handles it differently, and uniqely as we are all different and unique. So, I am turning to Him for comfort and healing. Unfortunately, just like physical healing, emotional healing takes time. I wish it was all over by now, but I know that I need more time. I am better than I was, and as I look back and see that, I am eternally grateful for the healing that is taking place, no matter how slow. I know that I am being strengthened and lifted to be able to handle this, and on my darkest and hardest days, I am literally being carried.
    I am so grateful for a few close friends of Mike and I that have really been sensitive to our needs, and been so thoughtful. It is such a gift that these people don't know exactly how we feel, or what we are going through because they have not been there, but yet they are kind, thoughtful, and sensitive. What a huge blessing! Thank you! Mike works with a very nice guy who we had informed about the adoption when we were trying to get everything ready and prepared. Well, he asked Mike yesterday how it was all going, and Mike told him what happened. He was so sorry. Oh, you could tell that he really felt some of the pain that we felt, and he felt that for us! He came up and said how sorry he was for me, and even that small gesture, was huge. Then, he went home that night and called his brother who works for lds family services in Texas, and told him what had happened, to kind of see what we were having to deal with. His brother told him that it is very traumatic and hard for most couples to deal with. It is losing a child, or like having one of your children die. Would you be able to get over that in a couple weeks?  He told Lyle of a lady that had the same senario happen, and a year later the lady went back to get therapy, because she could not get over the grief. She was still struggling so bad even a year later.
  Does that give ya'll a wake up call? This is not easy. It is not something that you can just "get over" in a few short weeks. It takes time. I need time. I know that I will overcome this and try again, but not before I am ready.  I need the healing power of the spirit, and I am getting little glimmers of hope and light as the days go by. It doesn't mean I am over it, or even close to being over it, but I am moving forward. I have turned my burden over to my Savior, and since I did that through prayer and have relied on Him, I felt the burden being literally lifted. I have felt better, and been able to see many blessings that have come through this experience.
~Keira
         

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry, Keira! I can only imagine how heartbreaking a failed adoption can be!

    I know you see people's "cheer up" comments has unhelpful and full of pressure, but keep in mind that they likely do not see them the same way that you do, otherwise they probably would not say them. I have to believe that people in general are not usually intentionally insensitive. Perhaps for them the grieving and recovery process is helped along by quick action to try again and they assume that because it works for them, it might work for you, too. Forgive me if this is too prying, but I'm curious how you respond to these comments when you get them? Do you shrug them off for the moment only to let them mount until you break down in a moment of solace? Or do you actually say something, politely, to the person who made the comment to the tune of why what they are saying to you is unhelpful? I wonder if gently letting people know at the time the comments are made how what they say make you feel would help you to keep more steady emotions and ultimately be happier.

    I have a good friend who has successfully adopted twice. She had a profile through LDS Family Services, but she never would have gotten her two girls if it hadn't been an intense amount of work on her end. One of her tactics was to network across the country to get in contact with bishops of a variety of wards. She advertised her profile through them and asked if they'd be willing to suggest it to ward members who found themselves dealing with an unwanted pregnancy. I know we helped her to spread the word, and while her two little girls were found in other locations, it was a pleasure for us to help her out, if even in just a small way. Anyway, I wanted to mention this so that when (or if) you are ready to try adoption again, it might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Keira. I love you and think about you always.

    I am still sad about our failed adoptions. Four years later. Maybe I need to go to the doctor about depression too. ;) Heartache like that doesn't just leave. It is losing a child. Losing your hopes and dreams for that child. You never get that piece of your heart back, you just learn to reshape your heart until you are in a place to try again. It is not easy. Give yourself time to grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keira, I have been thinking alot of you since your last post and was wondering how you have been... I was gonna email Candice this week and ask but felt weird about that.. I am sorry I didn't.
    I just wanted to let you know that my heart breaks for you and your husband... As I read this my own feelings of loss came back from 5 yrs ago and how much I wanted that baby. I want you to know that you and Candice give me strength in knowing that you all have so much of a testimony to carry you. Mine started failing me, or well I should say I failed mine when I lost my first child.. Even with 2 healthy babies.. the hurt from the 3 I have lost is still so new..
    Thank you to you, your husband, Candice and Shalum for your sharing your hurt, feelings, and testimony... I wish there was more I could do for you 4...
    Please know that I am praying for you and I do know that Heavenly Father is the one that can help you all heal from this and get you past it.. Take your time, myself I hurt, cried, screamed and everything in between for almost a yr and I hit really bad depression, that no one knows how bad it really got, but my journal and a few friends. SO to you for sharing this.. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I think about the amount of time it takes to heal completely from labor & delivery and the various levels of post-partem depression that follow (and that's with a little newborn to help take your mind off the pain), I can't imagine that the trauma of losing a baby would only take 2 weeks to heal from! 2 weeks is how much time I need to recover from a really bad sunburn or the expense of replacing all 4 tires on my car. I'm sorry someone said that to you and I am glad you know how unrealistic that is and that you need to give yourself however much time and space you need. We shouldn't place expectations on anyone but ourselves because only you know what you are capable of and only I know what I am capable of. Good luck with your continuing healing process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that you felt I was being insensitive. I do not expect you to heal overnight or even in 2+ weeks from this but the way you express your feelings to us is very, almost, life is not worth living. You have had some depression over the years with health problems and fertility problems they are both hard to deal with and I felt it wasn't fair to you to feel like you had to do it alone. Suggesting medication is not saying "get over it" it is saying "there is help out there" to help you get to the next step! You feel the need to carry this burden alone, you don't want help you want sympathy, we want to do both. We love you and want to morn and help. We all deal with trials differently and we all have different strengths but NO ONE is trying to offend you or push you down. Take the time you need to heal but your live is not over and there are many people out here pulling for you and supporting you. I hope you can see we love you and support you.

    ReplyDelete