Welcome! This is a blog for Keira and Candice to speak of all our woes. Ha! Not exactly. We both struggle with infertility. This is our way of keeping in touch and being a support for one another. Here is where we share our thoughts, our feelings, our struggles, our hopes, and our dreams. We have often asked ourselves 'why not us?' We would sure like to know what happened to our storks. So if anyone with similar struggles visits this blog, just know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Although at times it sure feels like it, doesn't it? Hopefully this may help you as well.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What goes up must come down....

This perfectly describes my last few days. I was on a very happy high, and now I am back down to what has become all too familiar over the last few years. I have been holding off on writing because I kept thinking about how I might look or sound to other people, and just kept telling myself to not write and my hard and bad feelings will go away in a couple days. So, all morning at work I have been talking to myself and letting my true feelings out, and I finally decided that this is an honest blog. This blog was started to help me get my feelings out no matter how hard it is so that I can learn to cope with them better. So, here it is...
     Well, since I wrote my last entry I have really been having a hard time, and really, no matter how hard I try to convince myself that I am happy, that all is well, and that I have so much to look forward to, I know better. I know part of it is my pms, part of it is that I am in a lot of physical pain, because of my shoulder, and another part is because the last few days it seems that several people are pregnant around me and all they do is complain about it.    
     Yesterday a good friend I work with told me that she was pregnant, and how she was not happy about it, because her boyfriend is treating her badly, and she wants him to have nothing to do with their baby. All in all it is a very sad situation. For her, and for the unborn baby. She has a 2 year old that she really cannot take care of. He lives at her grandparents, and she sees him a few hours after work, but other that that he goes to the babysitters all day, and then sleeps at her grandparents. How sad is that? Then today she was complaining about how her body is now going to be making all sorts of adjustments that it does during pregnancy and how horrible it is. She is more emotional, and how she is going to start gaining weight, and how fat she looks. Really? What about the miracle of creating a life? And the experience to feel your baby move inside you?  At this point I wanted to start screaming at her these very things, but I bit my tongue and held it all inside. Swallowed my feelings in a sense, which I have come to do quite often when I can't afford to let my feelings out and then have to cope with them.
    My cousin is now pregnant with her second and on facebook she posted how she was unhappy about it because she didn't want to gain the weight that comes with it, even though it is for a good cause. I was livid. I can't quite describe the feelings that overcame me when I read that. So, I decided to respond, and despite my anger I wrote a very nice comment about how she needs to count her blessings and be grateful for the fact that she can procreate. And how there are many of us that would do anything to have a baby of our own even with the added weight.  It does not come easy for all of us, and the pain and the deep sorrow that we feel some days can be crippling. I don't think people understand that. I truly feel physical pain at times when it becomes so hard. Anyway, my cousin never responded to my comment, and even that bothered me a little. But alas, I hope it helped her think about it and realize how truly blessed she is. Rather than being so concerned about her figure.
     I am at the point I don't know what else to do. I try to find comfort in being positive. I try to find comfort in holding my feelings inside. I try to find comfort in moving on with my life. Is there any comfort for me? Is there anything that can help when I feel so alone and unhappy? I truly don't know at this point.
-Keira

6 comments:

  1. Just remember that while you would like to have your co-worker's experience of being pregnant, she is also experiencing fear and frustration at not having a supportive partner or possibly realizing that is not someone she should be having children with. That does not excuse her choices but it may help you understand her behavior. Be happy you can't relate to those scary feelings and that as a result of your choices you are in a stable relationship with someone you know will be there for you through anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it when we're struggling all pregnant women come out of the woodworks? I understand that your co-worker is feeling fear and frustration, but I also strongly believe she shouldn't be telling you of her struggles. About how she's not happy about being pregnant, how she doesn't want the change it makes on her body, because it's just breaking your heart. I understand she's hurting, but what about a little compassion on her part. Sure she needs to vent, but surely there's someone else she can vent to, because it's just hurting you. And that breaks my heart for you. I have been there and know exactly how much you're hurting, and how hard it is to hear that. Perhaps I'm a little prejudice because I struggle with the same, but those are my thoughts.
    -Candice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you are right I am glad I don't have that fear and frustration that my coworker has, but at the same time she is getting that as a direct result from poor choices. Plus, she knows how I feel and how frustrated and depressed I get, and she could't even think about that? I just think it is really selfish, and I just get upset that people who should not have children continue to get them as I continue to wait. I try to be positive, and be happy, and on most days I am. But, as I have great happy uplifting times, it just makes the fall that much harder. I feel lost. I don't know what to do and don't know where to go...
    -Keira

    ReplyDelete
  4. For the record, I think that it is perfectly fine to be unhappy. For the last several months I have been trying to reconcile my happiness with my current situation in life, and while it not related to fertility, it has everything to do with that situation not being what I had hoped for and planned on for my life from my childhood. It's frustrating, and often difficult to find peace. And when I see others in the situation I wanted to be in, I get even more frustrated and unhappy with my own.

    Which isn't to say that, when looked at broadly, my situation is a bad one. It's not. With the difficulties come opportunities that I'd never be privy to otherwise, and I know there are people who look at what I've got and wish they had the same for themselves.

    So I guess the key is to not let the unhappiness and frustration get the better of you. That's certainly not an easy task, but I can't, for my own sake and for those around me, stay in my funk forever. I have to dig myself out, even if it means two steps forward, one hard step back.

    I guess what I'm saying -- for me as much as for you -- is that it's okay to let yourself be unhappy or disappointed or whatever, but it's just as important to try to remember what you DO have and to take that and run as far as you can before things get cloudy again.

    Anyway, good luck. I think about you often and hope that things turn up in some way for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good points. Complaining about the weight is lame in itself but doing it while being aware of your struggles is extremely self-centered. I saw that in a friend who struggled with breastfeeding and had to supplement with formula. Anytime other moms complained about breastfeeding (even though it's way healthier than formula), it devastated her because it was a daily struggle to keep up her milk supply and everyone around her told her to quit. If only it were legal to give the complainers a justified slap in the face every once in a while to help them gain some perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys for your comments. It really does help A LOT hearing the different perspectives of many other people. Plus, it helps me feel not as alone and isolated. Lindsay- I loved the comment about remembering what I do have and run as far and as long as I can with that before it gets cloudy again. I needed that. I kept feeling mad at myself that I was so happy and feeling so good and then this happens. But now I realize that even though I got frustrated and devastated, I am also further than I was. I am making progress in my 2 steps forward one step back. I hope things get better for you as well. This blog is not just about infertility, but basically the feelings of being disappointed that your life may not be turning out like you wanted and dreamed. Thanks for your insight.
    Wendy- also thanks for your comments. It is good and healthy for me to step back and think about what it would be like in someone else's shoes. You have helped me to see that I do have a lot to be grateful for. I thank you immensely. And yes, I am so for the slap in the face to help people get perspective. I think that it would help me to feel better on days like this, even if it did nothing for them. haha :) --keira

    ReplyDelete