Welcome! This is a blog for Keira and Candice to speak of all our woes. Ha! Not exactly. We both struggle with infertility. This is our way of keeping in touch and being a support for one another. Here is where we share our thoughts, our feelings, our struggles, our hopes, and our dreams. We have often asked ourselves 'why not us?' We would sure like to know what happened to our storks. So if anyone with similar struggles visits this blog, just know YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Although at times it sure feels like it, doesn't it? Hopefully this may help you as well.

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Just wants to be understood

Yesterday and today I've been a bit angry and annoyed. Don't you hate how often and how quickly your emotions can rollercoaster? I sure do. Over the years I have had people (not a whole lot, but enough to bother me) tell me that at least I haven't gone through a miscarriage. As if what I'm going through isn't so difficult. Well you know what? It is difficult. It's very difficult for me. Keira and I were talking about this yesterday, and we both feel the same way. If we were to get pregnant and miscarry, well at least we'd know we CAN conceive, and that there is hope there. Sure we would be devastated, but we would have more hope than we have now. Talking with her about it reminded me of a book I bought about overcoming infertility. The author had dealt with infertility herself, and after years of taking herbs, cleansing her body, acupuncture, you name it she did it, she finally conceived. Nine weeks into the pregnancy, she miscarried. Naturally she was devastated. But she said through her despair she found a piece of hope in that now she knew she COULD get pregnant. Now she worked on getting pregnant and carrying full term. There were a couple things she said that stood out to me. First thing:
'After more than a year of frustration our relationship began to feel the strain. I was moody and short-tempered, often on the verge of tears. I couldn't bear to watch other women's pregnant bellies grow while mine remained an empty tomb. My every thought revolved around what I was doing (or had done) wrong. What was wrong with me? Why couldn't I do what every other woman could accomplish so easily?'
That was the first thing that really hit me. Because I have had those very thoughts and feelings, many times. I hate it when people who have never struggled with infertility tell me I shouldn't be bitter towards those who don't struggle with that (which I admit, at times I have been bitter towards them). I also hate when people tell me that I'm lucky we didn't have children right away. Yeah well I really doubt those people would like to try for 7 years unsuccessfully. And I hate it when they make it out as if what I'm going through isn't as difficult as I'm making it out to be. Now the next thing she wrote that hit me, hit me much harder.
'It can be hard for some couples to grieve for something that they've never had. The people around them may not understand the depth of their grief when there has never been a child to be lost. Yet, isn't that the cause of their grief in the first place? The child they yearned for and hoped for is just as real to them as the child another couple held in their arms. Losing the hope of someday seeing their child firsthand can be just as devastating as experiencing a miscarriage or stillbirth. And that's important to understand.'
That hit me so hard, because that's exactly how I have felt. A year and a half ago, I could have had a child starting kindergarten, and I cried and I struggled, and it hurt to see little school kids. I felt like I was missing this milestone, that this had been taken from me. And it was very real to me, even though I had never even been pregnant.
As much as I hate hearing when someone is pregnant, it does break my heart when I hear that they've miscarried. And I'm not saying that I feel as if my infertility is more difficult than a miscarriage. I'm just saying that it can be JUST AS difficult.
-Candice

2 comments:

  1. Candice- I just have to say that I hope I was not the person that got you started on being a bit angry and annoyed. I am sure that my post did not help when I was super down and angry and frustrated myself. Anyhow, I agree whole heartedly with this post! I want that book that you have. What is the name and the author, and I want to see if I can find it. I have felt many times that it is like losing a baby, and the feelings of loss are so incredibly intense. Even though we have not actually lost a child, we are grieving for the children we don't and may never have. The utter devastation. Infertility is so misunderstood. Many people think that it shouldn't be that hard. You know what, it is hard. Extremely hard! I so wish that I could experience a miscarriage, because then I know my body is capable of getting pregnant. I feel like there is more hope in being able to figure out what is going on as to why you can't stay pregnant rather than the million possibilities as to why your body can't get pregnant. At least a small glimmer of hope. I have also often though about how many kids I could have by now and how old they could be if we didn't have this trial. But, I have found that thinking that way (at least for me) is very damaging, and many times crippling. There have been many days for me and probably its the same for you as well that I get so depressed I can't even get out of bed, and I just cry all day long. No comfort and no hope. What a terrible feeling, so I try to stay as far away from those feelings as possible. Which is also why I try to distance myself from painful experiences and people that are not sensitive to my situation.
    Anyway, I am just going on and on. I hope that you feel better in a day or two. I am feeling a bit better. Little bit at a time, right? Well, I love you. I am also willing to talk if you ever want to call. -keira

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it wasn't you that got me angry. I downloaded the book online. It's about all these different herbs that can help, diet, and a whole lot more. I'll see if I can figure out how to send it to you. I'm not the smartest when it comes to computers.

    ReplyDelete